Good credit, bad credit, or no credit at all, sometimes we simply want to know how to stop credit card offers. There are a few ways to accomplish this. You can stop credit card offers over the phone or online. Also, important to know the benefits of getting offers as well.
Stop Credit Card Offers Through The Web
Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Consumer Credit Reporting Companies are permitted to include your name on lists used by creditors or insurers to make firm offers of credit or insurance that are not initiated by you (“Firm Offers”). The FCRA also provides you the right to “Opt-Out”, which prevents Consumer Credit Reporting Companies from providing your credit file information for Firm Offers.
Through the website, you may request to:
- Opt-Out from receiving Firm Offers for Five Years – (electronically through this website).
- Opt-Out from receiving Firm Offers permanently – (mail Permanent Opt-Out Election form available through this website).
- Opt-In and be eligible to receive Firm Offers. This option is for consumers who have previously completed an Opt-Out request – (electronically through this website).
If you choose to Opt-Out, you will no longer be included in firm offer lists provided by these four consumer credit reporting companies. If you are not receiving firm offers because you have previously completed a request to Opt-Out, you can request to Opt-In. In doing so, you will soon be among the many consumers who can significantly benefit from having ready access to product information on credit and insurance products that may not be available to the general public.
Stop Credit Card Offers By Phone
Deaf and hard of hearing consumers can opt–in or opt–out of firm offers through this website or by calling 7–1–1 and referring the Relay Operator to 1–800–821–9631.
Benefits Of Receiving Pre-Screened Offers
Personally, I believe that prescreened offers are great! Many consumers feel that they will never qualify for a better credit card or better terms on a loan or etc. Overtime, as the score improves, better offers will come to them. This reduces a ton of research and getting your credit report pulled from companies that may deny you. Instead, you can go with the company that has already looked at your credit report and feel as if you can get approved with them based on what they saw on your credit.
Equifax, Experian, Innovis, and TransUnion, (collectively the “Consumer Credit Reporting Companies”), encourage you to make an informed decision about receiving firm (preapproved / prescreened) offers of credit or insurance. There are several benefits of receiving firm offers.
- Consumers are provided with product choices
- Consumers learn about and have an opportunity to take advantage of offers that may not be available to the general public
- Firm offers help consumers to “comparison shop”, which may increase a consumer’s buying power.
For more articles like this one and to stay updated on discounts and upcoming free webinars, join our FREE email list!
Interested In Improving Your Credit Score
But Got A Few Questions? Fill Out Below
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]